Are you wondering what is cystic acne and do I have it? Many people suffer from pimples and blackheads, especially during puberty and the teenage years. In fact, the National Institutes of Health (NIH) declares that eight out of every ten people will experience acne between the ages of 11 to 30, but few will have genuine cystic acne which is rare but severe.
What is Cystic Acne and Why is it Severe?
Please take a few moments to check out the acne pictures. Cystic acne appears as massive, inflamed pustules. The ulcers start as a clogged pore or hair follicle. The region becomes obstructed by oil, dead skin cells, or dirt. Within the waxy sebum plug bacteria also becomes ensnared. The bacteria invade deep underneath the surface of the skin to form a swollen, painful mass. The chronic inflammation caused by the lump often leads to severe lifelong scarring.
Cystic Acne Is physically and emotionally Painful
Cystic acne on the neck and face is very uncomfortable and emotionally devastating. Many boys experience acne on the chest or acne on the back.
Males and females may have acne on the chin that becomes so inflamed that the facial contours distort.
What are Cystic Acne Causes?
Hormones (referred to as androgens) are believed to be the culprit in causing severe acne during pubescent. Boys undergo increased testosterone production as masculinity emerges. In addition, girls often undergo skin changes during their menstrual cycle, pregnancy or polycystic ovary syndrome. On rare occasions, even menopausal women develop cystic acne. Genetics are a deciding factor cystic acne.
Emotional Trauma From Acne
During a person’s teenage years, many acne sufferers face ridicule and become the brunt of jokes. Massive psychological damage, low self-esteem, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), depression, and suicidal actions manifest over the incessant verbal abuse and an onslaught of jokes that occur in a prepubescent and pubescent child’s life because of acne. Traumatic upheaval often leads to drug abuse, alcoholism, and other self-harm behaviors in adulthood.
Tips on How to Get rid of Cystic Acne
If you have severe, deep pustules then rush out and purchase over-the-counter remedies. Any potion is worth the gamble to smooth out the unsightly zits. However, how to treat acne that comprises only a pimple or two is dramatically different from how to get rid of cystic acne. Normally, you will have to seek the assistance of a skilled dermatologist for successful cystic acne treatment.
Seeking Cystic Acne Treatment
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) lists medicine for acne as the number one reason that people make an appointment at a dermatological clinic each year. Obviously, everyone wants to get rid of cystic acne overnight so they request the expertise of a specialist to provide the best optimum treatment for acne.
Identifying Cystic Acne
Without a doubt, cystic acne looks different from milder forms. The cysts grow within the skin’s layers and feel like a prominent firm, circular boil, unlike a standard pimple that protrudes like a flaming burgundy volcano.
The appearance of cystic acne:
- Pus-filled cyst
- Can form a large white bump in the center of the inflamed region
- Widescale redness
- Painful when pressed, squeezed, or palpitated
- Feels warm or hot
- Pustules arise on the face, chest, arms, back, neck, shoulders, and behind the ears.
Can You Get Rid of Cystic Acne Overnight?
Cystic acne takes time to clear. Most dermatologists will prescribe a combination of therapies to battle the predicament. In addition, try acne home treatment methods. Just about everybody has an acne home remedy they swear helps, but there is no magic way to clear up your skin in twenty-four hours.
Luminescence takes time and dedication to work effectively. Antibiotics rapidly reduce the cyst’s swelling and redness in a day or two, but the condition may take years of diligent therapeutics.
Common Cystic Acne Treatments
Here is a list of the most common types of cystic acne treatments prescribed by a dermatologist:
- Isotretinoin: This is the go-to prescription script used by medics to effectively zap cystic acne. It is not a magical overnight elixir. The American Academy of Dermatology states it takes about four to five months to conquer the problem. It’s a pharmaceutical concoction that relies on oral vitamin A to decrease sebum in about 90 percent of sufferers.
- Oral antibiotics: Oral antibiotics are a short-term treatment option that neutralizes the bacteria causing the inflammatory response in the skin. Unlike isotretinoin or hormonal pills, antibiotics do not slow or halt the production of oil, dead skin cells, or alter hormones.
- Topical retinoids: Topical retinoids are a form of highly effective vitamin A. The cream or gel is smoothed across the skin’s surface. A topical retinoid is usually used every day and sometimes twice a day.
- Spironolactone: The potent diuretic works by controlling androgen balance. It appears to function best on females who experience breakouts on the lower face, chin, and jawline. Caution should be taken with this medication because it causes birth defects in unborn fetuses.
- Oral contraceptives: Some women experience fewer breakouts when using birth control to level out estrogen and progesterone. The United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) authorized Ortho Tri-Cyclen (contains a synthetic progestin), Estrostep, and Yaz.
Scarring and Cystic Acne
Scarring occurs in 95 percent of acne vulgaris sufferers. It is imperative you obtain acne treatment if you have cystic acne to prevent scarring. If you have a lesion, then avoid picking or popping the lesion. Messing or fussing with the cysts will not only increase the chances of damage but also spread the bacteria to neighboring pores.
If you have permanent imperfections, then please remember that there are cosmetic procedures to reduce the scar tissue:
- Chemical peels
- Laser resurfacing
- Dermal Fillers (Bellafill)
- Ablative resurfacing
- Retinoic acid
- Punch excisions
- Fat transplantation
- Hyaluronic acid
How Does Spironolactone work for Acne, Real before and After results?
Every morning you wake up from a restful slumber, stumble into the bathroom, and look in the mirror. Much to your horror, you notice a
Apple cider vinegar for Acne – benefits of treatment, before and after results.
Apple cider vinegar is long established in folklore for its medicinal benefits and curative properties. Vinegar is actually derived from wine, it would be a
How to use Coconut oil for Acne: How to apply, Before and After results.
Coconut Oil has long been the doyenne of the skin counter. With its tropical overtones of palm-fringed beaches, sun-drenched golden sands and azure oceans, it
Best Vitamins to prevent Acne: A, E, D, C, D3 and others.
Since before Lucille Ball first acted in the iconic vitameatavegamin I Love Lucy sitcom on the silver screen people have sought out vitamins as a
Best Products at Drugstores to Get rid of Acne for Adults and Teenage Guys.
Whether you are a grown gentleman or a teenage guy, you still might suffer from pimples. If your breakouts aren’t intense, then there is no
How to get rid of Acne scars: home remedies, removal and treatment.
As if acne wasn’t depressing enough, it can leave ugly scarring and pock marks, regrettably a natural part of the healing process. Why does acne