Nummular eczema is a common condition that appears in around 10 to 15% of the population.
But yet, so many people are unsure of where to turn for relief. Let us help with that.
What is Nummular Eczema?
Before you can define it, you must understand that this phenomenon belongs to a family of skin conditions. A form of eczema with unique markings is what is nummular eczema. Nummular is the Latin word for “coin” and helps to describe the spots that appear on the skin. The sores vary from itchy to not itchy and dry to wet.
Nummular Eczema Pictures & Examples
Because of similar shapes, nummular eczema and ringworm are commonly mistaken for one another.
If you compare the nummular eczema pictures and images of ringworm side-by-side it’s plain there is a clear distinction. Here are some photos to solidify your imagery:
Nummular Eczema Causes & Diagnosis
Unlike other skin or autoimmune conditions, nummular eczema doesn’t show a strong correlation for genetic predisposition. It doesn’t seem to run in families. What has been pinpointed as probable nummular eczema causes include:
- Temperature Changes
- Injury like bug bite, scratch, or burn
- Dry Skin
- Chemical reaction
- Allergic Reaction
- Metal Toxicity, particularly nickel
- Poor circulation
Although no direct correlation has been identified in passing it down genetically, there is some evidence to support that people with a family history of asthma, allergies, and atopic dermatitis are more likely to contract nummular eczema. It can run dormant for many years, only emerging after an injury brings it to the surface. Men are more likely to display symptoms than women.
A doctor can diagnose nummular eczema by sight usually.
Symptoms of Nummular Eczema
The most obvious sign of the condition is the coin-shaped blisters that appear on the skin’s surface. Those can be accompanied by:
- Dry skin
- Open sores (sometimes pockets will burst and then crust over leaving scab patches)
The last three items on the list can be indications that the rash has led to an infection.
Nummular Eczema Treatment Options
The source of the problem will influence how your doctor chooses to treat you. If allergies are suspected as the culprit, nummular eczema treatment options will include an allergy panel performed. Severe patients may be prescribed antibiotics to stop the spread of infection.
Phototherapy has proven fruitful for some sufferers. This practice involves exposing skin to UV light in a series of treatments. Sessions are performed two to six times a week over the course of four weeks to three months. It isn’t advisable to try to self-treat with a tanning bed as the wavelengths are different. Plus, tanning has been linked to skin cancer.
There are also topical creams both with steroids and without. Reducing the itching and pain is the main goal of these topical oils, but they do little to address the condition in the long-term. We are not dismissing these solutions, as less scratching means faster healing and less risk of infection.
But if you want to rid your body of the problem completely, you will have to take a unwalked path.
How to Cure Nummular Eczema
It can be challenging to treat eczema on your own. Partly because the medical community isn’t entirely sure what causes. It can have underlying autoimmune disorders so for many, there isn’t a way how to cure nummular eczema. You can, however, learn to control outbreaks.
One way to reduce outbreaks is to remove trigger foods from your diet. For each individual, the inflammatory food may be different, but there are a few familiar foods like:
- Gluten. Gluten is a binding agent present in wheat and other grains. It’s hard for the body to digest and can irritate the lining of the intestine sparking an immune response. Almost everyone can benefit from eating a bit less gluten.
- Citrus. The acid levels are problematic for some.
- Dairy. Dairy products are notoriously challenging for the digestive tract and non-organic ones can be packed with hormones, unnecessary antibiotics, and pesticides.
- Eggs. Chicken eggs are an endemic allergy.
- Soy. Soy mimics hormones and it is in almost everything processed.
- Spicy foods. Hot stuff can burn the lining of the stomach.
- Tomatoes. The nightshade family of vegetables (tomatoes, eggplant, tobacco, etc.) has compounds that are triggering for many people.
Alternatively, you don’t have eliminate everything you eat.
There are some foods that counteract inflammation like:
- Fish. Or anything with high omega-3 essential fatty acid.
- Probiotic rich foods like yogurt, sauerkraut, and kombucha.
- Rainbow food. Any fruit or vegetable with lots of color contains inflammatory fighting flavonoids.
Makeup Options to Conceal Eczema Breakouts
Experiencing the unlucky situation of an eczema breakout on your face, you may want options to conceal it as you venture out into the world. Remember a few things when picking cosmetic products:
- Moisturize! Dry skin makes eczema exponentially worse. Choose something with shea butter, lanolin, or glycerin to retain moisture.
- Avoid pollutant. Fragrances and dyes are unnecessary and irritating.
Ringworm on Neck, Scalp, Face, Foot, Leg and Arm – Causes, Symptoms and Treatmen.
Images of creepy crawlies may pop into your head when you hear the word, ringworm. If you have seen pictures or real-life examples, you know
Eczema Treatment for Toddlers: Best home remedies with pictures.
It is important to remember that toddlers are undergoing a lot of developmental change. A baby or toddler does not have the same body chemistry
How to Get rid of hickeys fast: Definition, How to cover, overnight removal.
Also going under the aliases hickie or love bite across the pond in Britain, this is a marking caused by sucking onto the skin. Normally,
How to treat Eczema on scalp: symptoms, treatment & home remedies.
Eczema on scalp The main challenge with treatment options for scalp eczema is hair. There are numerous remedies for eczema on the scalp but who
Discoid Eczema: diagnosis, symptoms, causes, treatment, pictures
Discoid eczema is also frequently called nummular eczema or discoid dermatitis. The rash occurs between the ages of 55 to 65 and is more prevalent
Get rid of Eczema with Apple cider vinegar: Home remedies and Treatments.
The word vinegar has French routes, originating from the words vin aigra which roughly translates to sour wine. It can be created from pretty much