If you discover a lump under your chin, do not hit the panic button. Remain calm, cool, and collected. Grab a hand mirror to examine the small lump closely. Does it hurt when you palpitate the area? Is there any discernable redness?
What Does a Lump Under Chin No Pain Mean?
You have a multitude of lymph nodes under your chin, either side of the throat, and in your neck. If you have a lump under chin near throat that feels tender then your body could flush out infection using the lymphatic system.
A sore lump just means your body is hard at work. However, a lump under chin no pain can also be an innocent node that is working hard to eradicate whatever viruses, bacteria, or fungal infections might lurk inside.
A few causes of a little lump under chin bone might include:
- Benign tumor
- Peritonsillar abscess
- Allergic reaction
- Tuberculosis (consumption)
- Basal Cell Carcinoma
- Squamous Cell Carcinoma
- Cat Scratch Fever (Bartonella henselae bacteria)
- Bacterial pharyngitis
- Actinic keratosis
- Bug Bite
- Salivary duct stone
- Fractured Jaw
- Reaction to medication
Hard Lump Under Chin and Cancer
Cancer afflicts all ages. The malignancy forms a large lump under chin bone or in the throat’s L-bend.
Malignant lumps range from barely discernable beans to a huge chunky lump. They usually feel firm to the touch and aren’t uncomfortable or painful
- Your throat, salivary glands, oral cavity, gums, cheeks, lymph nodes, bone, thyroid, and throat are all susceptible to carcinoma.
- Any malignant cancer can spread. Some travel more easily than others. Cancers such as lung, bone, and ovarian metastasize. The harmful and aggressive cells use the body’s lymphatic and circulatory system to hitch a ride and create enlarged lymph nodes.
- Cancer whose primary origin is the lymphatic system is referred to as lymphoma.
- Skin cancer (non-melanoma) that develops on the face, under the chin, and along the neck.
- A sarcoma can develop enough` the skin’s surface;
- Sarcoma is a skin cancer that arises in tissue.
- Lymphomas, such as Non-Hodgkin lymphoma and Hodgkin’s lymphoma make the lymph nodes swell throughout the body. There can be a singular lump or multiples.
- Leukemia also increases the size of the lymph nodes
- Laryngeal carcinoma
Warning signs that lead up to a malignant lump include:
- Unexplained weight loss
- Sores that remain open or oozing
- Difficulty swallowing
- Coughing up phlegm or blood
- Lumps in other areas of the body
- Discharge or bleeding
- Indigestion or heartburn
- Changes in moles or warts
- Difficulty swallowing
- Bloody stool
- Mouth sores
- Difficulty breathing or breathlessness
- Changes in voice
- Treatment options include surgery, radiation, and chemotherapy.
Infection-Causing Painful Lump Under Chin
An infection, such as an abscessed tooth, can lead to swelling or cyst formation. The painful lump under the chin is often hot when palpitated. Other bacterial and viral infections, such as the common cold, can also cause painful lumps in the lymph nodes.
The lymphatic system is an invaluable champion in the fight against infection. Whenever the body signals there is an invader, your body’s nervous system will jumpstart an immune response. It is almost like a solder slipping on his boots and loading his gun in preparation for the war ahead. The brain sends forth an army of white blood cells to confront the invader and fight a daunting war. The lymph nodes are a key component in the impressive immune capabilities. When they enlarge it is often the first indicator of an infection. Usually, they feel tender to the touch.
Common triggers that cause a painful lump under the chin include:
- Upper respiratory infections
- Strep throat/Scarlet fever
- Mononucleosis (mono)
- Ear infections
- Acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS)
- Sinus infections
- Root or pulp infection
- Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Impacted or infected wisdom or molar tooth
Benign Tumor Forms Swollen Lump Under Chin
A benign tumor presents itself as a solid or soft fluid-filled knot, unlike cancer, benign cells are non-invasive and non-far-reaching.
They may feel firm or soft. Although not typically painful they may put pressure on your throat and bone.
Here are three main types of cysts
- Epidermoid (sebaceous) cysts
Finding a Small Lump Under Chin
As you have read, there are a variety of causes that are not as dire as cancer. A doctor will make a diagnosis and plan a course of treatment. A small lump under chin is normally easily treatable.
Finding a Lump
An itchy lump might be a simple insect bite or the start of hives. Non-painful types cause more concern. At first, see if the lump goes away on its own. If the lump lingers for longer than a month, then your physician might want to take a biopsy. If an infection causes the lump, they might want to install drains and drain off the pus. A bacterial infection will require the administration of promptly and potent antibiotics. After testing all of your symptoms then your doc might want to do a ‘what and see’ method before making a hard determination. However, with an infection, the situation becomes a priority. Also, if the physician feels something is ‘off’ and might point towards cancer then they will take an aggressive stance by suggesting your visit your primary care provider get a prescription.
Tests to Diagnosis
- Physical Exam
- Laboratory full panel
- Sinus X-ray
- Chest X-ray
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
Pimple Turned into Hard Lump Under Skin: Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis & Treatment
The vast majority of humans will experience pimples in their life. Whether during the hormonal teenage years of adolescent puberty or later during adulthood, pimples
Hard Lump Under Incision After Surgery: Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment
After surgery, perhaps not immediately, but in the weeks thereafter, it’s possible to develop what feels like a hard lump beneath your rehabilitating incision scar.
Small, Painful, Hard Lump on Epididymis – Common Causes, Symptoms, Treatment
Finding a lump that could be considered cancerous is one of the most terrifying discoveries imaginable. The epididymis is among the most horrible, unnerving places
Hard, Fatty, Painful Lump Behind Knee: Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment
The human knee, one of the most complex, largest and ingenious joints on our bodies. The knee is connected to the thigh bone and to
Hard and Painful Lump above Genital area at Female & Male: Diagnosis, Symptoms.
In order to understand the roots of your malady, you must classify your symptoms correctly. This involves that ability to differentiate between bumps and lumps.
Painful, Hard, Soft, Fatty, Itchy Ankle Lump: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment
Lumps can appear anywhere and take on varying, even fluctuating forms. Hard, soft, large, small, there’s no telling how they’ll arrive. There are also numerous