Raise your hand if you are a homebody who prefers DIY tricks to doctor visits? We empathize. For minor problems, like ingrown hairs, there is no need to make a professional appointment if you can handle it yourself. Use your common sense, and maybe some of your food reserves, to concoct a treatment plan in the comfort of your own house.
Collected here are natural remedies tested by people we trust. Risk levels are minimal, so you can always seek out your physician’s help if these solutions don’t garner the results you prefer.
Spoiler alert: you get to take a long hot bath at the end. Keep reading to get that reward.
Natural Remedies for Ingrown Hair
Bumps of this nature generally don’t require medical intervention, unless there is a severe infection. You can treat yourself with natural remedies for ingrown hair, like:
Sugar scrub. You can pull together this concoction from items that are already in your kitchen cabinet. Mix together honey and sugar until it becomes a paste. Squirt in a little lemon juice and stir. Apply the paste to the affected area in circular motions. This will gently exfoliate away dead skin cells and open up clogged follicles.
Homemade pain reliever paste. Another trick, but this time from the medicine drawer. Soak two aspirin in warm water until they start to dissolve into a paste. Add one tablespoon of honey and mix. Apply the mixture to the ingrown hair. Wait 10 minutes and wash with warm water. This will ease pain and inflammation to allow proper hair growth.
Baking soda. This mineral powder can be used as a scrub or just as an anti-inflammatory paste.
Tea Tree Oil. This essential oil can be used as an astringent to kill off bacteria and remove the top layer of dead skin cells. A great preventative measure for infection.
Witch Hazel. Another natural astringent on the list. This has been a secret tool in the beauticians’ tool belt for decades. Store it in the fridge for a refreshing relief of irritated skin.
Ingrown Hair Removal Home Remedies
We never recommend performing minor surgery in your own home, but a pesky hair shouldn’t present too many problems if you want to tackle it yourself. Follow the next steps for ingrown hair removal home remedies:
- Exterminate off germs. Swab the spot with rubbing alcohol or iodine with a cotton ball.
- Sterilize a needle.
- Poke a tiny hole in the skin.
- Hook the needle under the hair loop or use tweezers to extract.
- Dab some antibacterial ointment afterward.
After the process, make sure to let the area heal. Skip shaving or waxing for a few days. Wear loose-fitting clothing to avoid trapping moisture and bacteria in the area. Continue to clean and apply ointment.
Deep Ingrown Hair After Waxing
Shaving is the most common cause of ingrown hairs, but they tend to be mild. For some individuals, waxing provides less ingrown hairs, but that isn’t the case for the spread of the population.
Waxing removes the hair root causing the life cycle over from the start. When that process goes awry it can beget a deep ingrown hair or evolve into an ingrown hair cyst.
Best Remedies for Stubborn Facial Hair
If shaving and waxing have led you astray, it is time to consider alternatives for removing facial hair that doesn’t result in razor burn. A few options to deliberate:
- Electric razor. The cut isn’t as close to the skin making obstruction less of an issue.
- Embrace the fuzz. Longer hairs won’t suddenly turn into the skin after they have grown out.
- Depilatory. These creams chemically dissolve the hair follicle and have proven fruitful for some people in reducing ingrown hairs. Make sure you purchase one that expressly says it is for use on the face. Body formulas are stronger and could burn the delicate skin on the face. An added bonus is the creams also get rid of dead skin cells.
Treatment Options for Problem Skin
Sometimes the best medicine is a long, hot bath. It resolves many problems both emotional and skin related.
Reasons to jump in the tub include:
- Opens pores. The heat, steam, and water encourage clogged pores to open up. Unclogged pores will release toxins as well. An open door is the best way for unwanted stuff to eliminate.
- Relieves stress. If we could all just learn to relax more, many health problems could be avoided. When we get stressed, the hormone cortisol is produced in the body. When we have an overabundance of the stress hormone floating around our cells, it can contribute to skin issues like acne, rashes, and excessive dryness or oiliness.
- Softens skin. Toss in some oils for aromatherapy and to soothe irritated skin. Soft skin is more receptive to hair removal, exfoliation, and moisturizing.
- Helps you sleep. As you exit the warmth of the bathtub, your body temperature drops spiking the production of the sleep hormone, melatonin. Getting enough rest makes positive contributions to your appearance by reducing wrinkles, increasing blood flow to the surface (a healthy glow), and shrinks puffiness.
How to Get Rid of Deep, Public & Painful Ingrown Hair Cyst: Removal, Treatment
A deep ingrown hair cyst is far worse than a typical ingrown hair. Pilonidal and eruptive vellus are two forms that occur. Please examine the
Removal for Ingrown Hair Using Coconut Oil, Tea Tree Oil or Salicylic Acid
Ingrown hairs are nasty and painful. Have you tried tweezing, plucking, and digging to rid yourself of the blemish? Did the lesion become infected? If
Swollen Lymph Nodes in Neck, Groin, Armpit, Throat, under the Jaw, Chin.
A Google deep dive of your symptoms can pull up pictures you never wanted to see of football-sized goiters and baseball-sized lumps. Finding a weird
How do Know You Have an Ingrown Hair and How to Take Care of It: Causes, Treatment
Has a burgundy bump sprung up on your countenance, armpit or pelvic line? Men sometimes notice a pimple-like protrusion on their buttocks or inner thighs.
Ingrown Hair with Usual Medicine: Tweezers, Brush or Removal Needle
When you have an ingrown hair, you need to turn to the removal tools that work. The beauty section of your local store or salon
Ingrown Hair on Vagina (Labia) & Vag Lips: Symptoms, Prevention, Removal, Treatment. ingrown hair on vagina
Rarely do an anatomy lesson and beauty tutorial collide, but presently we are at the crossroads. One path of beauty over health could lead to